Wednesday, August 5, 2020

How It Ends

It has been … years

… months

And … days

Since the first time I saw you naked

Since the night you ripped off your shirt

Stuck your boobs in my face and said Touch them

I touched them like a diabetic third grader opening

a Snickers bar

You said

Hard

I thought, yes I am But you are so soft, I said,

Your lips, they’re like whale blubber

That wasn’t my best line

But it worked Tonight in the grocery store, I found one of your

hairs in my underwear

I pulled it out in the frozen food section and

screamed

THAT is so gorgeous, it could kill a man

Good thing I’m a leprechaun Lucky

Lucky Baby, I have no idea how this will end

Maybe the equator will fall like a hula hoop from

the earth’s hips

And our mouths will freeze mid-kiss on our 80th

anniversary

Or maybe tomorrow, my absolute insanity Combined with the absolute obstacle course of

your communication skills

Will leave us

Like a love letter

In a landfill

But whatever Whenever

However this ends,

I want you to know, that right now,

I love you forever

I love you for the hardest mile we walked together For the night I collected every sharp knife in the

house

And threw them one by one on the roof

Then told the sun,

Listen show off,

From now on, you are only to give me blades of grass;

Things that are growing and soft

‘Cause there’s this girl who says she wants to

float on her back

Through my bloodstream

And when she does, I want my rivers to reach the sea

D’you hear me, lover? Do you know, the night you told me you had a

crush on my ears,

I swore to never to become Van Gogh

And look, baby,

They are both still there

Just like my firefly heart is still right there in your glass jar

I never trusted anybody more to poke enough

holes in the lid So on the nights you sleep like a ballerina,

I try to snore like a piccolo

And I press my lips to your holy temples

And I say,

I crash into things in the dark

Even when the lights are on And I am wrong more often than I am writing

And even then, I am often wrong

But when my friends are in the bathroom at the

bar

Rolling dollar bills into telescopes,

Claiming they can see God, I will come to you

Holding my grandmother’s Bible,

I will press it to your chest

And I will bless it with your breath

And when you ask if I wanna roleplay Altar boys

fucking in the kitchen during Sunday Mass I will say,

Hell yes

But only if you leave a hickey on my ass

In the shape of Jesus’ palm

So I can be sure I got nailed

Down Lover,

You will never lose me to the wind

You are the lightning that made me fill my chest

with candles

You are the thunder clapping for the poem that

nobody else wants to hear You are an icicle’s tear watering a tulip on the first

day of spring

You melt me alive

You kiss me as deep as my roots will reach

And I want nothing more than to be an eyelash

fallen on your cheek Then being collected by your fingers

And held like a wish

I promise

That whatever I do

I will always try my best

To come true


- Andrea Gibson

No comments:

Post a Comment